This information was quite troubling to us, not to mention SCARY. We were always aware of the negative buzz that store bought cosmetics received, but learning this one fact pushed us to seek out alternatives to our favorite products. We decided to learn more about natural replacements for products that we all tend to use on a daily basis. For instance, most of us have a daily cleanser and exfoliator on hand; These are typically a necessity for people who take good care of their skin. The great thing is, is that you may not have to even leave your house to put together these products yourself!
A few tips to think about before making your home made masks and scrubs.
- Avoid contamination (Avoid double dipping or applying with your fingers)
- Avoid light (This may alter your product drastically. Keep products in a dry, dark area)
- Consider the shelf life of your homemade products (Things like Avocado, don't last forever, so just stick to a single batch until you decide you need another treatment)
- If something smells funky, don't use it! (Pretty self explanatory and refers to the tip about being aware of the shelf life of the products you are using)
- Keep water/moisture away & out of your products!
- Use natural preservatives to extend the shelf life of your products
Rosemary Oil Extract - is another natural antioxidant. It should be used at a ratio rate of .15 to .5 % of the overall formula.
Step 1 - Exfoliate
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
Step 2 - The Mask
- 1/4 cup whole oats
- 1/4 cup dried calendula petals
- 1 tablespoon dried roman chamomile
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary leaves
- Plain yogurt or avocado
To use: add 1 tablespoon of herb and oat mix to 1 tablespoon warmed plain yogurt or smashed avocado. Stir to mix well, adjust the amount of ingredients to achieve a nice spreadable consistency. Apply to face and relax for about 20 minutes. The mask will begin to tighten and dry as it draws out toxins. Rinse well and pat dry.
Step 3 - Tone
- 2 cups distilled water
- 1/4 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried camomile leaves/flowers
Step 4 - Moisturize
- 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
- 3/4 tablespoon grated beeswax
- 1 tablespoon rosewater (can be purchased or homemade)